Re: master 37889523278: Add new `swap` macro and use it

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master 37889523278: Add new `swap` macro and use it
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2024 19:53:02 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Please raise these issues with the Gnulib folks, not here.  Meanwhile,
> what's good enough for Gnulib should be good enough for us.

Stefan's patch doesn't replicate any choices made by Gnulib besides the
test for __typeof__'s presence, so what Gnulib does is beside the point.

The problem at hand is that we should not define macros which behave in
such drastically different manners across compilers subject to the
presence of __typeof__, much less macros whose erroneous invocations can
only be detected in a small portion of the configurations Emacs is built
in, and even then not without rigorous testing.

>> Never in my life have I heard the statements for swapping two variables
>> characterized as "insufficiently readable"
>
> With all due respect, if you don't want your own stylistic preferences
> to be questioned, please don't question those of others.  Let's all
> respect the preferences of each other, okay?

OK, but "swap" macros are likewise personal stylistic preferences, and
ones defective for significant and widely-recognized technical reasons
at that.