Re: Ada-mode to be abandoned?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Ada-mode to be abandoned?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2024 16:48:03 +0000

Fernando Oleo Blanco <irvise_ml@irvise.xyz> writes:

> ada-mode, as it currently stands, requires compiling some Ada code in
> order for it to work. It comes with some helper scripts for that task.
> However, the experience to get it working is not as nice as with other
> packages due to the compilation step. One cannot simply install it and
> just M-x ada-mode...

On this point, I believe it could be improved if `ada-mode' could check
if the necessary programs are installed, and otherwise try to build them
on its own (as other packages do, e.g. pdf-tools).  Playing around with
ada-mode today, I just got an error message after error message, having
to guess what packages, dependencies and package managers to install,
that I ended up writing my code in fundamental mode, which I find sad.

--
Philip Kaludercic