Re: Translation of manuals (was: SES manual French translation)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Translation of manuals (was: SES manual French translation)
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2024 22:44:15 -0500

  > It’s the only free software translation editor for professional (and
  > committed amateur) translators. Since its first release in 2002, we
  > managed to keep it free of “cloud versions for money” and other kinds of
  > strings. As the current project coordinator, I insist on saying that it
  > is “free software” and not “open source software”, and I introduced the
  > 4 freedoms in the short help text that’s displayed when you launch 6.0.

I see it is listed in directory.fsf.org.  That is good.

  > I’m not holding my breath for such a “mode” to be developed. But it’s
  > OK. I would not think of writing SVG images in Emacs, so I’m fine doing
  > my translation work in OmegaT. I use Emacs for other things.

You, personally, would be free to use whatever you like.  We don't
have rules for what software a contributor can use -- not even against
nonfree programs, and certainly not a rule against using another free
program.

But when we choose a design for doing some editing job, we design it
so that Emacs is what we can recommend.