Re: [ELPA] New package: jami-bot and org-jami-bot

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: jami-bot and org-jami-bot
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 12:12:20 -0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> It would not be the first time.  There are various other features that
> were integrated into Org mode and there is no way to use them from
> Emacs except via Org mode.  It is a general design flaw, taking Emacs
> overall in a bad direction.

Sure, but you might be preaching to the choir here.  There is already
broad agreement on this point.  The Org maintainers themselves proposed
some features (org-protocol and org-capture) that are good candidates to
separate from Org in this very thread.

AFAIK, the mistakes that have been made in this regard are historical,
and the only reason we haven't rectified them yet is that no one has
stepped up to do the work.

It might make sense to add this to etc/TODO.

> But it isn't clear yet, because "trivial" can have various gradations.
> I could be mistaken, or Stefan and I could be miscommunicating, or
> both.  I had better make sure of how things really are.

I never used the word "trivial" in this thread, I don't think.

This is what I said:

    "Without the org parts, there's nothing there.  To change it 'not to
    require org' amounts to writing another package from scratch."

> Yesterday evening I asked someone to send me or point me at the source
> code for org-jami-bot.  (At that time I collected the incoming emails
> that arrived yesterday.)  If someone has sent me that info since
> yesterday evening, thank you, and I will see that response soon.

I sent it to you on Tue, 09 Jan 2024 21:35:20.  I'm assuming that you
will see that email before this one, but I'm saying this so that others
don't need to worry about sending it also.