Re: master 37889523278: Add new `swap` macro and use it

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 37889523278: Add new `swap` macro and use it
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 15:44:17 -0800

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Considering that you downloaded Sun C from the Internet, it is probably:
>
> $ /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -V
>
> cc: Sun C 5.8 2005/10/13
>
> that is 4 years out of date.  Install:
>
> $ /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -V
> cc: Sun C 5.8 Patch 121015-07 2009/04/22
>
> with:
>
> # smpatch -G -i 121015-07

I don't pretend to be a Solaris expert, but the above suggests that you
can upgrade software on that system.

- What's stopping users from installing Sun C 5.9?
- Which systems are we talking about, and do we have any reason to
  believe that they are in wide use in 2024?  Presumably, these machines
  were installed before 2007, when Sun C 5.9 was released.
- Finally, why can't we ask these users to run GCC?  We also don't
  support MSVC, for example, so adding another unportable compiler to
  the list doesn't sound like a disaster (especially since they can just
  upgrade to the next version).

> Talk about presumption!

Not sure what this is in reference to.