Re: [ELPA] New package: activities

From: JD Smith
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: activities
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 16:48:55 -0500

> On Jan 25, 2024, at 7:59 PM, Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to add a new package to ELPA, activities.el.  It's hosted at:
>
>  https://github.com/alphapapa/activities.el
>
> Here's the description; please see the readme/manual for more details.

I've given activities a try and am very impressed.  None of
desktop.el/framesets/burly/bufler ever stuck for me.  And project.el is great
but many activities span projects.  Activities is literally already a one key
interface for me: <f10> to jump to an activity from anywhere, C-<f10> to revert
the current one (OK two keys).  I think people are going to love it, and I can
very much imagine it migrating to core someday.  Strong support for including
in ELPA.

PS: I personally feel that by the time a package author presents a well-written
and fairly complete package for inclusion into ELPA, it is too late to make the
argument that they should have instead contributed that functionality to a
built-in package.  If you can convince them earlier in the process, of course,
but it certainly adds to the outside impression that ELPA is a gauntlet that
must be run, which I think all agree is not desired.