Re: master 78fc49407b8 1/3: Improve filling of ChangeLog entries

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: master 78fc49407b8 1/3: Improve filling of ChangeLog entries
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:45:39 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 19:05:57 +0200, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 31/01/2024 17:32, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> >> No shortage of maintainers, you say?

> > None.

> One cannot name a package with bus factor of 1 and say it has plenty of
> people willing to maintain it.

What's a "bus factor" in this context?  It would appear that one person,
me, is indeed enough to maintain it.  The rate of bugs reported for it
has sunk to near zero, possibly because of the release of the tree sitter
C Mode in Emacs 29.1.

> I don't mean to criticize your work (not knowing the exact tradeoffs),
> but it's plainly a bad example.

Bad example of what?

[ .... ]

> > After several days of struggling with named-let, cl-labels, and friends,
> > I vote for the plain Lisp, even if it does need more lines to express.
> > It is simply less work.

> I've never used named-let, and very rarely cl-labels.

I've never used either, but still need to debug them.  :-(

> The latter is a very simple idea, though: create a bunch of local
> function definitions. Like nested functions in Python, for example.

It's a complicated macro.  Why is it needed at all?  Is there anything
using it that couldn't be conveniently written in plain Lisp?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).