Re: master 72b1379f079: Increase `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column` to 7

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: master 72b1379f079: Increase `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column` to 72
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 02:25:02 +0100

Stefan Kangas wrote:

> The claim that wrapping docstrings to 65 characters in any
> way solves that problem is just wrong. It is the same as
> ignoring the problem, perhaps simply because it happened to
> work on the one screen we bothered to test with (using some
> font and font size, letter spacing, etc.).

Yes, as long as it is hard coded it's gonna be a problem
across platforms.

But there are also advantages with having it hard-coded, e.g.
ascii art, tables and other formatting - that is all put there
manually, so offers complete freedom and precision, to those
that are into such perfectionist/pleasant documentation work.

A solution could be, keep it hard-coded by default.

But introduce an option, "help-wrap-lines" or something like
that, when set, lines will be wrapped automatically when
displayed by the help. In the docstring to the option, it will
say explicitely, "note that this method may not display
docstrings exactly as intended by the docstring writer."

So whenever 80 chars won't work, for example on smartphones if
that is the case right now, one would use that option
if desired.

In general, I like the help system in its simplicity.
Re-writing it from scratch I disencourage from but sure, add
new features to make it more interactive, intuitive
and powerful.

Here are my configuration and extensions, 90 LoC:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/help-incal.el

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal