Re: master 4b79c80c999 1/2: New function 'sort-on'

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 4b79c80c999 1/2: New function 'sort-on'
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 02:48:33 +0200

Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 16:30:03 +0100
From:  Michael Heerdegen via "Emacs development
discussions."<emacs-devel@gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii<eliz@gnu.org>  writes:

This function can only sort lists, so at least from that aspect its
place is not in seq.el.  In addition, I see no reason to have it
preloaded.

I've put it in sort.el because the function 'sort' is there.
Both places make no sense to me.
I'm sorry that it doesn't.  It does to me, so let's agree to disagree.

Why don't we resolve this disagreement by turning the newly added function (sort-on) into a new optional argument to 'sort' instead?

The result would make it destructive and consequently faster (not entirely non-consing, but close to it--while the current sort-on creates two extra lists of length N), which should fit the original goal: a faster sorting routine then uses ACCESSOR.