Re: master 9ccaa09a635: ; .dir-locals.el (log-edit-mode) <fill-column>:

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: master 9ccaa09a635: ; .dir-locals.el (log-edit-mode) <fill-column>: Set to 64.
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 12:21:37 -0800

Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 09:49:41 -0800
Cc: luangruo@yahoo.com, stefankangas@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com>

- Unindented ChangeLog entries normally come next.  However, if the
   commit couldn't be properly summarized in the brief summary line,
   you can put a paragraph (after the empty line and before the
   individual ChangeLog entries) that further describes the commit.

This, and other bullet points are all talking in the context of a single
commit. But this paragraph talks about multiple ChangeLog entries within
one commit (*after* the summary line and descriptive paragraph). After
carefully reading this, I think it means that one ChangeLog entry is a
line of the form "* some/file.el (function): Frobnicate the widget."

Yes.  But where did you see any verbiage to the contrary?

The first sentence of the section begins, "Ordinarily, a change you commit should contain a log entry in its commit message...". That is, there's just one log entry in the commit message. Here, it mentions multiple entries in a single commit.

In practice, I think this section of CONTRIBUTE is clear enough for people to understand how to properly-format their commit messages, and my main confusion was in whether to account for TAB characters in the ChangeLog *files* when counting columns for wrapping.

I'm still not sure I could define a "ChangeLog entry" (as used here) precisely enough to use the term when creating a hypothetical formal grammar for the format, but that's probably of little practical use, and our time would be better spent elsewhere.