Re: Adding Flycheck to NonGNU ELPA

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Adding Flycheck to NonGNU ELPA
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 16:29:14 +0200

On 22/02/2024 12:14, Steve Purcell wrote:

On 22 Feb 2024, at 03:16, Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>  wrote:

flymake-easy has another problem: IIUC it hasn't been updated for 10 years, and
as such only uses the obsolete Flymake protocol (one we keep in flymake-proc.el
for compatibility). It also employs defadvice.

The defadvice issue is easily fixed, but in general I can’t tell if the package
is defunct or would still be useful for people if it had a refresh. I suspect
the latter.

I think there is demand for it, but code-wise, it might need a full rewrite.

It also might make sense to contribute the improved helper to flymake.el directly, rather than have it as an external package - then the built-in modes could also use it.

Because what I have to do at the moment, is copy ruby-flymake--helper with minor variations to use for each backend, and that's not ideal.

Meanwhile the users of flymake-easy who target older versions of Flymake (including the current release) could continue to use the existing version, since the obsolete API is still supported (I think), just not quite recommended.