[ELPA] New package: listen

From: Adam Porter
Subject: [ELPA] New package: listen
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 01:28:40 -0600

Hi,

I'd like to submit a new package to ELPA, named "Listen". It's a simple audio/music player that uses VLC as a backend.

https://github.com/alphapapa/listen.el

Compared to other Emacs music players like EMMS, Bongo, etc, it's much simpler to use: no setup or configuration is required--just "M-x listen RET" and use the Transient menu to begin.

Compared to packages that use MPD as a backend, Listen provides a simpler UI, and it doesn't require installing and configuring MPD; the user just selects one or more files to play. (However, support is provided for discovering and playing tracks from a local MPD library by searching its metadata database.)

It's extensible, so e.g. a new backend could easily be added to use something like MPV to play files.

A queue (playlist) view is provided using the nice new Vtable library in Emacs 29. And a library view is provided using the Taxy and Magit-Section libraries to browse tracks grouped by metadata.

For more details (though there's not much else to say), please see the readme/Info manual.

By the way, unlike with some other packages I've submitted, I've not fully settled on the name, so I'm open to suggestions. I considered naming it "EMP" (for "Emacs Music Player", which is fun and concise, and which is surprisingly not yet taken--although Nic Vollmer has an unpackaged library by that name, but he's graciously offered me the name for use with this package). But "Listen" seemed more descriptive and concise enough, so that's what I've gone with for now.

Thanks,
Adam