Re: Native compilation on MPS branch

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: Native compilation on MPS branch
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 09:15:03 +0200

Andrea Corallo <acorallo@gnu.org> writes:

> Keep us updated, I hope I can find some time to dedicate to the MPS
> effor the upcoming week.

Hi Andrea!

I'm currently on a different problem that's the first one occurring when
I don't do a build from scratch, but try to pdump with an existing eln.

(source)...

   ./character.h:381: Emacs fatal error: assertion failed: 0xC0 <= c
   Fatal error 6: Aborted

That's in string_char_and_len, and the reason is that the string is
apparently kaputt. The actual problem seems to appear much earlier and
2km away. A symbol is created with name

(struct Lisp_String) {
  u = {
    s = {
      size = 19
      size_byte = 19
      intervals = NULL
      data = 0x000000017961c6b0 "macroexp--backtrace"
    }
    next = 0x0000000000000013
    gcaligned = '\x13'
  }
}

And that name/string isn't seen by MPS. Which should mean the symbol
isn't seen, which should mean it's stored somewhere where I don't look.

Since macroexp is dumped native-compiled, I thought I'd rather ask the
expert, where that might be, than digging around in pdumper, or where
else.