emacs-erc

Re: bug#60936: 30.0.50; ERC >5.5: Add erc-fill style based on visual-lin

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: bug#60936: 30.0.50; ERC >5.5: Add erc-fill style based on visual-line-mode
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 07:43:00 -0700

A commit associated with this bug

  d880a08f "Cement ordering of essential hook members in ERC"

introduced a regression that basically nullifies the `match' module when
a certain `erc-stamp' option is customized to a certain value. To
reproduce from Emacs -Q:

  - Set `erc-insert-timestamp-function' to `erc-insert-timestamp-left'

  - Connect to any server

  - Find the first mention of your nickname in the text of some early
    numeric (often something like "Welcome to FooNet <nick>")

  - Notice that it appears in plain `erc-notice-face' rather than
    `erc-current-nick-face' (a "match" face)

The attached patch should fix the issue. Thanks to Libera.Chat user jrm
for reporting this bug.

While we're at it, I'm thinking the option `erc-fill-spaced-commands',
which has been on HEAD for a few months now, should be demoted to a
plain variable, maybe even an internal one, because there aren't any
obvious use cases for non-default values. Unless someone has a good
argument to the contrary, I will do this in an accompanying patch to be
installed along with this one. Thanks.