emacs-humanities

[emacs-humanities] Images in org mode

From: Richard Teverson
Subject: [emacs-humanities] Images in org mode
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 19:25:33 -0400

Dear All,

I’m on the hunt for good ideas about how to write image-heavy academic papers
in org mode, and then export them sensibly to Word, which is typically the
required final format in my field.

I’m looking for three things:

1 How do people store images during the research and writing phase? I find:
+#NAME:
+#CAPTION:
[[link]]

in the document rather awkward to keep altogether during the chaos that is
writing. Do people give them their own block, or file or subtree? Is there a
genius package out there somewhere to link images + captions to a subtree?

2 Does anyone have an automatic way to number images, rather than having to
change the numbers whenever a new image is added, and/or a way to move all the
images at once to an appendix at the end? (Some journals like the images in the
text, some at the end)

3 What’s the most robust export path / set up for images? I’ve found odt
sometimes just gives up, and latex is usually pretty reliable (but the worst
format for pandoc to put into word). Pandoc org—>word never does images for me.

Any advice gratefully received, and apologies for a wordy question.
Richard