emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] visual filling?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] visual filling?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 11:00:19 +0300

> From: M. ‘quintus’ Gülker
>  <post+emacs-humanities@guelker.eu>
> Cc: emacs-humanities@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 08:46:10 +0200
>
> > Did you try using use-hard-newlines?
>
> I am unsure how use-hard-newlines relates to my problem. As far as I
> understand the documentation, it makes “hard newlines”, which probably
> affect the result of navigational commands. As I outlined in my response
> to Oliver Taylor, I do not want any newlines at all in my paragraphs (as
> stored on disk), except of course for the terminal one. This is why I
> use visual-line-mode so that I can have purely visual newlines. In
> essence, what I am looking for is a slightly enhanced version of
> visual-line-mode that also justifies the text over the window width.

AFAIR, use-hard-newlines allows you to avoid writing "soft" newlines
into the file when saving your edits.  Any newlines added by filling
are considered "soft".

My hope when suggesting use-hard-newlines was that you could then use
the fill-and-justify features that exist outside of visual-line-mode,
and still avoid newlines in the saved files.