emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] electric-pair and non-breakable spaces

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] electric-pair and non-breakable spaces
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2023 18:49:35 +0300

On 2023-05-28 11:10 +09, "l@tlo" <lists@traduction-libre.org> wrote:
> Hi there !
>
> Right in the middle of finishing my MA thesis in org-mode, I'm trying to fix
> the electric-pair mode default that inserts «» without the required
> non-breakable spaces that we have in French.
>
> The customize buffer tells me that the fields must contain only one
> character, respectively « and », and so, I'm stuck...
>
> Any idea how to fix that?

A few years ago I was the person who contributed the option to customise
the set of quotation marks used with it, and back then I was told that
electric pair was not really meant for helping with typing text
documents, but for helping with using these quotation marks <‘“”’> in
Emacs Lisp, which IIUC are to replace the backtick and the apostrophe in
docstrings at some point. They weren’t even that receptive of my initial
patch, so I don’t imagine they’d be too inclined to change it like this.

I suppose the best way to go would be to develop some sort of
<typographical-quotes-mode> that can also take into account locale and
Emacs’ language and input method settings. And also use a better method
for keeping track of matching quotes because if nothing changed w.r.t.
how electric pair does that, I imagine adding nbsp to the mix could
result in weird bugs with that package. Not to mention a side effect of
the ways of electric pair is that, if you wanna type <‘“...>, you need
to input something like <` SPC ` ` C-b Backspace>.

I would really enjoy a package that was as good as paredit/smartparens
but for quotes.

Best,
        -göktuğ.