emacs-orgmode

Re: Bug or not a bug? dot expansion in ob-shell

From: Jack Kamm
Subject: Re: Bug or not a bug? dot expansion in ob-shell
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 20:09:46 -0800

Hi Tom,

Tom Gillespie <address@hidden> writes:

> First a disclosure, I would be very unhappy if option 1 were selected,
> it would require me to make a whole bunch of changes and try to find
> an option to revert to the current default behavior.

Wasn't option 1 already the default behavior, until the changes made
earlier this month due to this thread? That is the behavior I get when I
check out earlier commits, or maint.

> The principle is that block defaults for results should default to the
> value that the language itself makes the most accessible.

I agree that this would be a good principle.

My understanding is that in 9.3 and earlier, the default was generally
":results value", but now due to this thread we are adding an exception
for ob-shell.

It sounds like after 9.4 is released, there will be a general survey of
how org-babel behaves across languages, after which there will be a
discussion of sensible default behavior.