emacs-orgmode

Re: newline or no newline at end of capture: expected behavior

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: newline or no newline at end of capture: expected behavior
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 09:16:33 +0200

Hi Samuel,

> On 9/23/20, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i have the same question for headline-only capture
>> buffers.  i.e. what is the expected result with and without trailing
>> newline.

Just to clarify: are you aware of the :empty-lines, :empty-lines-before
and :empty-lines-after keys that you can set in org-capture-templates?
Are your questions about the default values of these keys?

I just tried a simple setup in emacs -Q with Org 9.4, namely:

(setq org-capture-templates
      '(("s" "simple" entry (file+headline "~/org/notes.org" "Foo")
      "* %?" :empty-lines 1)))

and Org seems to correctly respect the value of these keys when they are
specified explicitly. That is, with :empty-lines 0, no newlines are
added; with :empty-lines 1, a blank line appears on each side of the
captured entry; with :empty-lines-after 1, a blank line appears after,
but not before, the new entry; and so on.

Can you use these keys to get the behavior you are looking for? Or is
your question about something else?

--
Best,
Richard