emacs-orgmode

Re: Better support admonitions blocks

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Better support admonitions blocks
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 17:04:47 +0000

JD Smith <jdtsmith@gmail.com> writes:

> Pandoc recently added read/write support
> <https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/9475> for "admonitions", which are a
> GFM construct <https://github.com/orgs/community/discussions/16925> already
> supported by other org-exporters, and on GH in markdown.  This refcard
> <https://github.com/fniessen/refcard-org-mode?tab=readme-ov-file#base-admonitions>
>  references an org #{begin,end}_{note,warning,tip,caution,important} syntax
> which pandoc now follows (though it does not support the extra admonitions
> like danger/error/etc.).
>
> It would be nice to add org support for these 5 admonition blocks to the C-c
> C-, org block structure templates, and perhaps allow block face styling for
> these as well (ala org-src-block-faces).

CCing Adam. We recently discussed "highlight" blocks in the context of
WORG publishing.

I do not see much problem adding such blocks, although I am not sure if
we want them by default.

What we may do is to implement something akin link's :export and
:active-func parameters to allow custom fontification and export.
(... and add a new :structure-template parameter to auto-add them to
structure templates)

Then, we can add optional support for all the proposed blocks that will
define how to insert, export, and fontify them.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,