emacsconf-org

An APAC version of EmacsConf?

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: An APAC version of EmacsConf?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 09:46:41 +1000

Hello,

I noticed that the time and schedule of previous EmacsConf, like many other free software conferences, worked well for AMER and EMEA regions but not the APAC region. Presumably this will remain the same this year.

I am starting a free software group in the hope of growing the movement in Australia and more generally the APAC region, also to overcome the curse of timezones. I think it would be great if there were versions of free software conferences for people in the APAC region, and I'm interested in (co-)organising them, and in this case specifically an APAC version of EmacsConf. I am relatively new to emacs (about 1 year in use), but I suspect one does not need to be good at emacs to organise a conference about it.

Is anyone else interested, or do you know anyone who might be interested? As a side note, to avoid unpleasant side effects like increasing the workload of EmacsConf organisers :P, the APAC version should probably be as independent of EmacsConf as possible, including the naming.

Best,
Yuchen

--
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0