emacsconf-org

Re: Might start to be time to nudge people to submit?

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: Might start to be time to nudge people to submit?
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 03:10:57 -0400

I'm excited to see this is moving forward. Let me know if I can help out with the submissions or with anything else!

On Fri, Sep 2, 2022 at 3:08 AM Leo Vivier <zaeph@zaeph.net> wrote:
Hi Sacha, hi all,

Sacha Chua <sacha@sachachua.com> writes:

> Happy September!

Likewise!  I’m just back from holiday and ready to resume work. :)

> Submissions are a bit low, but maybe this is the usual lull before the
> CFP closes, or most people are swamped with work / back to school
> stuff.

I’ve publicized the CFP again yesterday with Emacs Paris, but I couldn’t
make it in time to Emacs Berlin.  We could also remind people of the CFP
on your blog and on the subreddit, and that might be all the nudging
they need.  We can discuss it and coordinate on IRC.

Even though we’ve always had a lot of submissions towards the end of the
CFP, I don’t think it’s safe to expect it again this year.

Early next week, I’m going to start reviewing the proposals we’ve got so
far to get started on the process (since we’ve elected to *not*
anonymize submissions this year).

> If we don't get a lot of submissions, that's okay, maybe this is the
> year we get to do deep-dive sessions and open mic / unconference
> stuff.

I wouldn’t mind it, especially since it gives fewer presentations means
that the host can spend more time preparing for each.

> Are there specific topics that might be good to encourage people to
> cover?

This made me think of the different tracks we’d imagined when we
prepared last year’s edition:
--------------------------------[START]--------------------------------
- Meta track (for EmacsVerse stuff)
  - Community
- Org
  - org-roam
- Multimedia & Fun
  - Gaming
  - Music
- Dev
  - Emacs core
  - Other emacs stuff
- Research
- Beginner’s track

That being said, I think we need to take into account the makeup of our
viewership.  Since we tend to attract both beginners and experts alike,
we’d need to find ways to mix things up if a session with a speaker
lasts more than an hour; or, we can probably circumvent the issue with
the schedule (e.g. by having beginner-friendly and advanced clusters).

Talk to you all soon,
--
Leo Vivier
Freelance Software Developer