emacsweblogs

Re: [Emacsweblogs] i18n

From: Mark A. Hershberger
Subject: Re: [Emacsweblogs] i18n
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:35:51 -0500

smc <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't know if this approach is the better one.  I always thought that
> Emacs Lisp itself should implement the Gettext way for tranlating
> interfaces.

I like gettext, but I think the better way still is the sort of
collaborative translation that translateWiki enables.

(Bias alert: I'm working on a Mediawiki contract for Wikimedia.
Translatewiki was originally developed to help with Mediawiki
translation.)

Check out http://translatewiki.net/sw/Project_list for software projects
other than Mediawiki that are using the site to translate their
software.

I'm a little surprised (now that I've looked) to discover that there is
no “Emacs-way” to handle i18n and l10n.  Perhaps this is an opportunity
to make a significant contribution to Emacs.

Patches welcome!

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

The only alternative to Tradition is bad tradition.
                          — Jaraslov Pelikan