emacsweblogs

Re: [Emacsweblogs] i18n

From: Mark A. Hershberger
Subject: Re: [Emacsweblogs] i18n
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 02:52:26 -0500

smc <address@hidden> writes:

> As I can see, the Translatewiki system is also based in gettext, but with
> a web interface, like Drupal does.

It doesn't use gettext() but the system is based on gettext().

And the point is not the UI.  The point is the number of people who work
on translateWiki and can produce translations in multiple languages
quickly.

If you prefer something more emacsy, I'm sure that can be done.  I
certainly prefer emacs: I have a mediawiki.el mode for writing wiki pages.

I don't know enough to say whether _"string" is a viable way to mark up
text in Emacs Lisp, but my first guess is that it isn't — not without
work done to the internals.

However, we could define a _ function so that we can wrap strings like
this:

    (_ "message")

Which wouldn't be a simple, but could work.

> It is a deep misconception to think that Emacs is not for this kind of
> people.  With Emacs, we could solve a very large range of their needs.
> (Emacs is also for _the secretaries_, Stallman said in 1981; this is
> our starting point, but not only for English secretaries, I suppose.)

I hope not!

If I can help emacs use spread to non-English-speaking secretaries by
providing a multi-lingual weblogger.el, I'm all for it!

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

The only alternative to Tradition is bad tradition.
                          — Jaraslov Pelikan