emacsweblogs

Re: [Emacsweblogs] Maintaining the same blog on two servers

From: Mark A. Hershberger
Subject: Re: [Emacsweblogs] Maintaining the same blog on two servers
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 14:20:50 -0500

Ted Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been totally blown away.

It's all part of my secret plan to get more contributions to
weblogger.el et al.

>> If you (or anyone else) is interested, I'll show you how you can
>> store them in a separate file that is optionally GPG-encrypted.

> I'd definitely be interested.

I'm planning to write up a weblog post on this (something like a primer
for Elisp programmers on the correct way to handle passwords in Emacs)
and maybe contribute back some documentation to help direct developers
and users to this information.

So we'll consider this an overview from the user side of things.

weblogger.el (and other Emacs Lisp bits that use the auth-source.el)
will look for a username/password combo in ~/.authinfo.gpg  The format may
be familiar, but here's what weblogger.el looks for:

    machine hexmode.wordpress.com port http login hexmode password PASSWORD

The key bits are “machine”, “port”, “login”, and “password”, of course.

Since auth-source is looking for a .gpg file by default, it will try to
decrypt the file using gpg.

To create a GPG-encrypted file, you just open a file with the .gpg
extension in Emacs.  When you try to save the file for the first time,
you'll be prompted for the GPG key to encrypt it to.  Select your own.

Of course, that assumes you have GPG set up.  If you don't want to
bother with that, you can still use GPG with symetric encryption.

auth-source.el can be customized to use a different filename if you
want.

(Oh, and if you use tramp, tramp can use auth-source.el as well.)

HTH,

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

The only alternative to Tradition is bad tradition.
                          — Jaraslov Pelikan