[emms-help] Release 1.0

From: Jorgen Schaefer
Subject: [emms-help] Release 1.0
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:19:45 +0100

Hi there!
We've been talking on IRC about releasing v1.0 of emms soon. I
added a debian directory and will upload a deb of emms to the
debian mirrors when we release, too.

Our TODO list says for pre-1.0:

* emms should compile, and if at all possible, do so cleanly
* player-stopped-hook vs. player-finished-hook should be solved as well
* emms-config.el should be require-able (fix README afterwards)
* debian/emms.doc-base should handle the .texinfo documentation

I'll try to say something about each point now. Please comment as
you see fit.

* emms should compile, and if at all possible, do so cleanly
The byte-compiling process should work for all emms files if at
all possible. It should spit out as few warnings as possible.

* player-stopped-hook vs. player-finished-hook should be solved as well
When a player stops, there are two possible reasons: It stopped
playing, or the user stopped it. Some applications might want to
react on one of the two events ("next-song" on player stopped by
itself comes to mind), others might want to react on both events -
so we need a way to let extensions react on both. One idea is to
have two hooks - stopped and finished. Another is to have a global
variable that is set according to the current exit status of the
player. Comments?

* debian/emms.doc-base should handle the .texinfo documentation
That's a TODO item meant for me, mostly. Except anyone volunteers.
;)

* emms-config.el should be require-able (fix README afterwards)
It would be nifty to have people be able to just
(require 'emms-config) and all would be good. That might also just
bea nice idea for some other day.

Greetings,
        -- Jorgen

--
((email . "address@hidden") (www . "http://www.forcix.cx/";)
 (gpg   . "1024D/028AF63C")   (irc . "nick forcer on IRCnet"))