[emms-help] reco.el and emms-streaming.el

From: Yoni Rabkin Katzenell
Subject: [emms-help] reco.el and emms-streaming.el
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 00:36:35 +0200

If you want to use the *EMMS streams* buffer to find out what is playing
on a certain station and more,

1) Download version version 1.21 (or later) of reco.el from:
   http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/reco.el

2) Load reco.el

3) Add the following two functions to emms-streaming.el:

(defun emms-meta-return ()
  (reco-pretty-print)
  (remove-hook 'reco-read-hook 'emms-meta-return))

(defun emms-stream-info ()
  (interactive)
  (let* ((line  (get-text-property (point) 'emms-stream))
         (url   (emms-stream-url  line)))
    (add-hook 'reco-read-hook 'emms-meta-return)
    (reco-get url)))

4) Place point over the station of choice in the *EMMS streams* buffer.

5) M-x emms-stream-info

6) When the download is complete a message should appear in the modeline
   with the station info.

P.S. There are many reasons why reco.el will barf and say: "Could not
     get song info from station...". In future versions of reco.el I'm
     working on getting higher success rates. I apologize in advance to
     anyone whom reco.el crashes his/her Emacs.

P.P.S. BTW, since this is the emms-help mailing list, is there anywhere
       else I should be posting devel oriented stuff if at all?

        Regards, Yoni Rabkin Katzenell