[emms-help] Re: difference between amixer in different distribution

From: Lucas Bonnet
Subject: [emms-help] Re: difference between amixer in different distribution
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:14:21 +0200

"Ye Wenbin" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, I receive a mail from a emms user in which he complained that
> emms-volume is not work in his emacs. And I asked him and found that
> in  his linux Debian 4.0 R3, amixer use scontrol "Front", and should
> use  `amixer sset Front 20' to make a change. You known, I'm not
> familar with  other distribution of linux, so is there a way to
> determine which scontrol  should use and how to invoke amixer?

The names Front / Master / etc. come directly from the alsa driver, I
don't think there is something unified to call them. A quick test with
the computers around me shows:

 - desktop (prehistorical) : Master (+ PCM)
 - laptop (recent) : Master (+ PCM)
 - EEE PC (recent) : only PCM (or only Front, depending on versions)

The xfce-mixer panel plugin allows the user to choose which control to
use. Mabye we could do the same, along with a sane default?

Regards,

--
Lucas