Re: [emms-help] emms-player-mpd: current song not highlighted, playlist

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] emms-player-mpd: current song not highlighted, playlist not consumed
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 17:24:09 -0500

Alexis <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> i use mpd in 'consume mode' - i add songs to my playlist, which then get
> deleted from the playlist once they've been played.
>
> emms-player-mpd does not seem to work with consume mode. A track entry
> in the EMMS playlist is not removed once that track has been played; nor
> does the highlighting change so that the currently-playing track is
> highlighted. Instead, the first track in the playlist remains
> highlighted, although `emms-player-mpd-show` correctly displays the
> currently-playing track.
>
> Refreshing the playlist by pressing 'g' (`emms-player-mpd-connect`)
> shows the played tracks deleted from the playlist, and the
> currently-playing track at the top of the playlist, highlighted.
>
> i could, of course, add some advice, or redefine a function, such
> that `emms-player-mpd-connect` gets called upon track change; but this
> brute-force approach seems to be papering over either a bug or a lack of
> knowledge on my part about how to configure things correctly.
>
> Any ideas?

I don't think that you are missing anything. I think that
emms-player-mpd.el just doesn't know about consume. You can send in a
patch to fix this (... using something less dramatic than calling
-connect each track) or you can wait for me to have a go. I personally
don't use mpd at all, but I keep an mpd server running in the house to
debug Emms stuff, so I should be able to figure it out eventually.

If you are going to take this on, please ping the mailing list so that I
know if I should be adding this to my TODO.

thanks