Re: [emms-help] Some browser shortcomings and inconsistencies

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Some browser shortcomings and inconsistencies
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2019 12:36:06 +0100

Indeed, this has been an itch that has annoyed me for quite a while.

> 2.ii.b. Add enriched tracks and hierarchies to the playlist but allow
> native playlists to save and restore them. Honestly, this seems quite hard
> and worthless to me.

I'd favor this, although it is the approach that requires most work.
Some users might just like to see the medium-sized covers I suppose.

That said, it does not solve the question of inconsistencies between the faces,
the indentation, the covers, etc.  Also it's too bad that tracks that are
directly added to the playlist cannot be grouped by album and display their
covers.

So it would be nice to enforce more consistencies.  For instance, tracks that
are added directly to the playlist could use the same formatting function as the
browser.
Maybe only display the cover + album title if there are more than 2 consecutive
tracks from the same album?

Last, there has been some talk a few months back of implementing a playlist in a
more natural way using Emacs' tabulated-list.  That's a great idea in my
opinion, except that I'm not sure how covers would fit in the table.

Maybe we could just drop cover display from the playlist and have a separate
image buffer to display the medium/large size cover (which would finally put the
large-size cover to some use), and make emms-smart-browse display this buffer by
default.
The cover buffer could be a vertical split of the playlist buffer for instance.
Obviously, this would be customizable.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/