Re: new emms-streams.el

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: new emms-streams.el
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 04:57:45 +0500

On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 13:12:52 -0500
Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mike Kazantsev <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Guess for players without extensive APIs or stream metadata processing
> > it can be implemented via timer with http request.
>
> In fact, I implemented it for Emms many (too many) years ago completely
> in elisp. It actually worked, and was a fun hack, but of course locked
> up Emacs as it did so.

Note that it's not inevitable these days - emacs has fully async
sockets, where as far as I know (and was able to test with mpv),
neither connection nor reception should block, only cpu-bound
processing, which should be pretty liteweight in this case.

So I think it should be possible to do fully in elisp, and don't think
there are different standards for these tags - everything uses icy,
and did for more than a decade now, though haven't looked too closely,
and might be wrong.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net