Re: make client process failed

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: make client process failed
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 04:54:50 +0500

On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 17:39:41 +0300
грустный <d3v1ant@mail.ru> wrote:

> When i run  +emms/mpd-start-music-daemon or restart daemon i get this error:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "make client process failed"
> "Connection refused" :name "mpd" :buffer nil :host "localhost" :service
> "6600" :nowait nil :tls-parameters nil)
>   make-network-process(:name "mpd" :buffer nil :host "localhost" :service
> "6600" :nowait nil :tls-parameters nil)
>   open-network-stream("mpd" nil "localhost" "6600")
>   emms-player-mpd-ensure-process()

From this stacktrace, it looks like "mpd-ensure-process" (called
from emms/mpd-start-music-daemon) might be intended to start mpd and
wait for it to start listening for clients.

Then open-network-stream would connect to it and send playlist info.

"Connection refused" seem to indicate that mpd either failed to start,
or not configured to listen on localhost:6600 - nothing listening
there would produce this socket error.

Without knowing much about mpd (last used it briefly ~10y ago), I think
you might want to check where it outputs some logging (maybe to
"journalctl -af", or has its own logfile, e.g. ~/.mpd.log or such),
and where it keeps configuration file, and check both.

Config file for non-default socket configuration (if any) and logging
options, and logfile for what is the actual error preventing it from
starting.

Not sure if you might've looked at this already, and concluded that it
might be something with emms from there, but if not - maybe worth a
quick look.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net