Re: Any appetite for patches for EMMS support for SNES SPC files?

From: Warren Wilkinson
Subject: Re: Any appetite for patches for EMMS support for SNES SPC files?
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 12:02:55 -0600

Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

> What is the licensing situation surrounding this format? Has Nintendo
> released the specifications under a free license?

I don't think Nintendo authored the spec. I'll explain:

>From what I gather, the data in an SPC file is a 64 kb memory dump of
the audio chip on the SNES.

I think that interested persons dumped this memory and then, wanting to
organize and standardize their collections, evolved a small binary
wrapper around it: http://www.snesmusic.org/files/spc_file_format.txt
But I haven't been able to find the history of this file format.

So basically the file is a well documented header of unknown origin
prepended to a RAM dump of a chip.