Re: emms-info-native and track duration

From: Petteri Hintsanen
Subject: Re: emms-info-native and track duration
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 08:22:55 +0300

Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

> I haven't tested the code yet, but I intend to.

Thanks, please let me know if you have any issues or remarks.

> As far as naming goes we'll need to make a decision. Currently the
> format is emms-info-TOOLNAME, and not emms-info-FORMAT. Therefore, files
> such as emms-info-mp3 should be called emms-info-native-mp3. This also
> clearly indicates that they belong to emms-info-native.

I chose the prefixes (and hence file names) to make them shorter so that
the function and variable names would not become too long.  But you are
right, the new names disagree with the current naming scheme.

I don't have strong opinions on this.  We can go with
emms-info-native-FOO.

> For one thing, they contain parts of copywritten works and therefore
> cannot be actually under the GPL.

Ok, this is understandable.

> Secondly, please remember that all parts of Emms have their copyright
> assigned to the FSF (something that the Mutagen project probably doesn't
> do.) As a consequence, I'm afraid that we'll have to remove all files
> which are based on works for which the FSF cannot be assigned copyright.

Right, completely forgot this requirement.  I will revert the commit.

We can easily replace any infringing files with our own, synthetic test
files.

Thanks,
Petteri