limitations of Discogs API

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: limitations of Discogs API
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 18:17:12 -0500

Hello all,

I had a look at the Discogs API, and the search functionality requires
authentication:
https://www.discogs.com/developers/#page:database,header:database-search

Therefore, searching for "Bach", would require including a user key and
secret:

    $ curl
"https://api.discogs.com/database/search?q=Bach&key=foo123&secret=bar456";

As a consequence, people who will want to use the nascent Discogs search
functionality in Emms will have to first get a key and secret from
Discogs (which requires a Discogs account as well):
https://www.discogs.com/settings/developers

This doesn't cost anything, but is a pain in the proverbial behind for
users. However, I also don't see any other way. A quick look at other
free software projects which provide Discogs API access show that they
are in the same predicament. Here is a quote from the
python3-discogs-client project:

    "Note that Authorization is an optional feature of the Discogs API
     but a lot of basic functionality, like searching for releases,
     artists, etc. requires users being authenticated already."

Just a heads-up about the direction this is going.