epsilon-devel

Re: [epsilon-devel] epsilon in javascript in the browser

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [epsilon-devel] epsilon in javascript in the browser
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 03:15:12 +0100

On 2013-12-29 at 23:51, address@hidden wrote:

> I am working on a epsilon implementation in JavaScript. The purpose of
> this project are manyfolds:

amz3 and I already exchanged a couple messages about this in private.

I'm no fan of the web, but this is a nice, ambitious project, if
particularly if you care about performance.  As I told you in private,
I'll be very interested in comparing performances.

I'm honored that you consider epsilon worthy of this.

I have just one comment, which however I think is crucially important:
epsilon's design can make your work *much* easier than your current
design.  You'd have to implement epsilon0 primitives, an epsilon0
interpreter (compiling to Javascript on the fly if you want), and that
would be it: epsilon1 is implemented in epsilon0, so you won't have to
redo the difficult part.  You can just run by loading an unexeced image
into your new environment.  Load it with Javascript, epsilon0, or
whatever is convenient to you; it's quite easy: I've implemented this
both in epsilon0 and in C (just for speed).  Look at unexec.e.

This will become easier as soon as I complete the bootstrap process and
remove the dependency from Guile.  For example, I still use Scheme's
load procedure to load a file, and there's no good epsilon1
Read-Eval-Print Loop.  However all of this is trivial, compared to a
re-implementation of epsilon1.

Good night (for real),

--
Luca Saiu