epsilon-devel

Re: [JITTER] PIC code in sub-package mode

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [JITTER] PIC code in sub-package mode
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 16:53:22 +0200

On 2020-04-07 at 09:20 +0200, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:

> patches that makes poke to build a shared library libpoke.so and an
> executable `poke', that links to the shared library.
>
> Our problem now is that the jitter sub-package mode provides an archive
> libjitter-VARIANT.a that contains objects built as non-PIC.  This is
> what is placed in $(JITTER_LDADD).
>
> We would need for jitter to also provide a $(JITTER_LIBADD) expanding to
> a convenience library providing objects built as PIC, that we can
> include in libpoke_la_LIBADD.

I have a solution in mind.

There should be two ways of linking the Jitter runtime: a libtool way,
and a non-libtool way.  This is desirable because some package relying
on Jitter may use Libtool, while others will not.  There would be one
different Autoconf substitution / shell variable for each variant.

The fact that your problem, forcing PIC code, can be solved by using
Libtool to me is a reminder of the need for a good solution, but is not
really related.  Are Libtool convenience libraries always PIC?  I doubt
it.  (In fact I would say that static libraries have good reasons *not*
to be PIC, for performance's sake).  This seems like a solution by
accident.

Let me look at the problem more closely and see if I can commit a clean
change quickly.

--
Luca Saiu
* My personal web site:  http://ageinghacker.net

I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no
matter how deeply held, with open disrespect and the same unrelented
enthusiasm of a toddler who has just learned the word "poo".