epsilon-devel

Re: [Jitter] Print contexts, generalised

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [Jitter] Print contexts, generalised
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 23:51:08 +0100

On 2020-11-15 at 21:34 +0100, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:

> Ok.  But we can't use it.  It is up to libpoke's client to decide what
> to do to print the stuff... if it prints it at all.  It may be
> discarding it, or storing it in some file, or sending it to the outer
> space as far as we are concerned :)

Absolutely.

> Thats why it is so important for us that:
> 1) Jitter doesn't link with libtextstyle and

I will either make a small, separate, optional library, or just some
example code.  Libtextstyle will not be directly linked in libjitter; it
is too large and too tangential to the rest of the project.

To you the libtextstyle context kind will be interesting as an example
of context kind definition, not really to use in your code.

> 2) Jitter doesn't print anything to the terminal.  Everything should go
>    thru the callbacks.

It will be exactly like that:

right now the VM-routine-printing and disassembling functions in C take
a FILE * as an argument.  After a (very small) change they will take a
print context instead.  It is the user who supplies the context, which
can be defined in any way.  The user context can have any context kind,
either predefined or supplied by the user herself.  You definitely want
to make your own kind for poke.

"callbacks" equals "functions in the context kind".

Good night,

--
Luca Saiu
* My personal web site:  http://ageinghacker.net

I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no
matter how deeply held, with open disrespect and the same unrelented
enthusiasm of a toddler who has just learned the word "poo".