epsilon-devel

Re: [poke 2.0] sourcery-arm-thumb2 issue

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [poke 2.0] sourcery-arm-thumb2 issue
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 12:48:36 +0100

Hello Romain.  Thank you for reporting.

On 2022-01-29 at 12:15 +0100, Romain Naour wrote:

> # poke
> ERROR: specialized instruction beghl/retR (opcode 25) is defective but has no
> replacement
> [...]

I have no quick solution for that.  Replacement instructions, which are
supposed to be used when their matching instruction is defective, are
also defective.  (I am glad to have checked that condition which is
supposed to be impossible.).

I really need to look at the assembly code.

For the time being, please disable minimal-threading on Thumb.

> Cross-compiling poke from sources (git) is not easy since the build system try
> to use jitter for the target on the host. is jitter needs to regenerates some
> files ?

You can copy the generated files from another machine with a native
configuration; bootstrap + configure + make + make dist is a way to do
it, but it takes time; copying files is faster.
In the case of poke the generated files are pvm-vm.h, pvm-vm1.c and
pvm-vm2.c .

(What I personally do, for Jitter and for poke as well, is keeping one
single source directory shared among a many different build directories:
I keep the sources in ~/repos/jitter and the build directories under
subdirectories of ~/repos/jitter/_build .  For example, testing your
issue, now I have ~/repos/jitter/_build/cross-thumb .
Generated files go to the *source* directory in Jitter.  If they do not
you can copy from there: the source directory is always ../.. from any
build directory.
I learned this convention from a great expert.)

I can reproduce your problem.

If I do not come back to this issue in a reasonable time (say, one
month) feel free to ping me on the list.

--
Luca Saiu
* My personal web site:  http://ageinghacker.net

I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no
matter how deeply held, with open disrespect and the same unrelented
enthusiasm of a toddler who has just learned the word "poo".