erc-announce

[Erc-announce] Debian/Ubuntu packaging for ERC

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [Erc-announce] Debian/Ubuntu packaging for ERC
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 15:14:58 -0400

Due to the Debian vote last year which effectively forbids including
GFDL'd documents in Debian packages, I have had to remove the manual
From the erc Debian package.  This takes effect as of the 5.2-1
package (which I have just completed) in my Debian repository.

Since Ubuntu is not bound by this vote, manuals are still allowed to
be distributed with its packages.  So I have made a separate
repository for Ubuntu packages which includes the manual.  If you are
a Debian user but wish to retain the manual, it should be safe to use
this repository, since nothing there contains compiled binaries (which
are the main difficulty in cross-OS compatibility).

Debian repo: http://mwolson.org/debian

/etc/apt/sources.list entry:
deb http://mwolson.org/debian/ ./

Ubuntu repo: http://mwolson.org/ubuntu

/etc/apt/sources.list entry:
deb http://mwolson.org/ubuntu/ ./

You may also wish to do the following, which will prevent apt from
displaying warnings concerning the level of trust for my Debian
packages.

$ gpg --keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu --recv-key f3a8d319
$ gpg -a --export f3a8d319 | sudo apt-key add -

P.S.: I currently don't have a Debian sponsor.  Would someone be
willing to upload these packages for me (or better still, sponsor me
for this and my other Debian packages as well)?  If not, only Ubuntu
will get my changes, since I can upload packages myself there.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net