esp-action-alert

[Esp-action-alert] Canada allows business method patents, including 1-cl

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: [Esp-action-alert] Canada allows business method patents, including 1-click shopping
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 21:37:30 +0000

Bad news from Canada.  The Federal Court has ruled that business methods,
such as Amazon's 1-click shopping idea, can be patented.

Analysis of the decision is available at:
http://en.swpat.org/wiki/Amazon_v._Commissioner_for_Patents_%282010,_Canada%29

What's done is done.  What I'd like to ask of you is help with further
picking apart the decision, so we can document three things on the wiki:

* What ground is there for arguing that software ideas are not affected by
  this ruling
* What ground is there for interpreting this ruling very narrowly or even
  overturning it in a future case
* The ruling contains analysis and comments about the patent systems in
  Australia, China, Europe, the UK, USA... this should all be documented on
  the respective wiki pages so that we're ready for actions in those
  countries when necessary

The decision itself is readable and informative:
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/cc/amazon-dot-com.pdf

All help is welcome,

CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan
Executive Director, End Software Patents

Donate to keep ESP going: http://endsoftwarepatents.org/donate