esp-action-alert

Re: [Esp-action-alert] Brazil and Argentina info sought forhttp://en.swp

From: Reinier Bakels
Subject: Re: [Esp-action-alert] Brazil and Argentina info sought forhttp://en.swpat.org
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 19:18:48 -0000

Actually I don't have the faintest idea what is happening there in the field of swpats, but I do know that Brazil plays an essential role in the worldwide development of "intellectual property", as a leader of lesser developed nations. Recently I read a very intesting article that Brazil actually plays this role since the 1960s.

The essence is that "intellectual property" is used as a moden-day form of colonialism: to enable a licence fee flow from lesser developed countries into the indusyrialised nations, notably the USA. <cynical>Preferably, thus all development aid should flow back into the donor nations.</cynical>

For swpats, the situation is similar, but worse. In this field, Europe is actually considered a "colony" of the US: Europe should pay for the blessings of Bill Gates' creative genius. Of course we all know that the only actual superiority of the US is its agressiveness in patent law!

In sum, let's fight 21-th century colonialism together. In July, I go to Geneva again, hopefully to get a better insight what countries like Brazil are doing.

reinier
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ciaran O'Riordan" <address@hidden>