fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Multiple usernames and password typos

From: Christian Vest Hansen
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Multiple usernames and password typos
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 01:27:33 +0200

On 7/5/08, Jeff Forcier <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 6:52 PM, Christian Vest Hansen
>  <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>  > What do you have in mind? I've been thinking about creating a
>  > HostConnection class to hold the host specific part of the
>  > 'environment' and the SSHClient, and put instances of these in
>  > CONNECTIONS instead of the SSHClients themselves (and whenever the
>  > code needs a complete environment it'll create a union of ENV and the
>  > host specific part).
>

> Yea, that was basically my idea too, although I haven't gotten any
>  farther than just going "welp, I think it's time to start using
>  classes, so let's make a simple Host class to start out with", and
>  storing the hostname/username/password/client, with the assumption
>  that extra state and/or functionality could be tacked on as needed.
>
>  Let me know if you want to try it out first or if I should, I'd rather
>  avoid unnecessary duplication of effort :)

My thinking exactly. I don't mind trying it out first.

>  > Lots of good points and considerations in that. I'll make sure to look
>  > it through more thoroughly.
>  > Not sure if you know about this or not, but you can do 'fab layout'
>  > for a birds-eye view of fabric.py.
>  > And a personal style thing: I'de like to discourage lines longer than
>  > 80 characters :)
>

> Yea, I know about fab layout, which is why I keep resisting the urge
>  to write out the available commands. However, I think I will anyways,
>  but focusing on "this is how, and why, X behaves the way it does, and
>  here's how we might want to extend/change it" instead of just going
>  "run runs stuff, sudo runs stuff as sudo, upload uploads".
>
>  I'm still pretty bad at the 80-character rule despite starting to
>  convert to PEP8, but I'll try to keep an eye on it, sorry! Part of it
>  is that 80-character windows just look so *narrow* on widescreen
>  displays, hah. But I realize how important it is, given that I do
>  spend 50%+ of my time in the terminal...
>

>  > Textile ain't perfect- especially not with inline code, but.... I just
>  > couldn't get myself to use an angle-bracket language. The generate.py
>  > and textile.py have lots of odd edges that one needs to work around
>  > from time to time. The colors are nicked (slightly modified) from a
>  > django theme for TextMate - if you have the Monaco font, then the code
>  > looks the same in the examples as it does in my editor.
>

> Ah, that's why those colors look familiar. And, in terms of
>  angle-brackets or no, I was actually meaning to contrast Textile
>  against Markdown, which is my lightweight markup of choice; writing in
>  straight HTML would be pretty nasty indeed. I'm actually using
>  Markdown to write the Django book, it's worked very well despite tons
>  of code example blocks, inline code snippets, double-dash hyphens
>  (--), and so forth. I use the same overall style in the Fabric doc but
>  Textile felt much less flexible :(

The choise of Textile all comes down to... I knew I could pound
pytextile into the shape I wanted, at the time I started work on the
web site.

I don't have any particular preference for Textile, appart from it
looking more like the Confluence wiki syntax, and therefor familiar.

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards,
Christian Vest Hansen.