fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Blog post on deploying applications with Fabric

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Blog post on deploying applications with Fabric
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:27:54 -0500

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Nick Sergeant <address@hidden> wrote:

> Should I rebuild fab via PyPy or is there a way to switch to the 0.0.9 'tag'
> per se with git?

This is the part where I realize I haven't actually used tags in Git
myself (used 'em in SVN plenty, but not yet in Git, just branches).
Looks like you can just 'checkout' a tag, as with a branch, so as long
as you cloned Christian's repository and not mine (forking does not
seem to preserve tags) you can do 'git checkout 0.0.9' and poof, your
working directory will now contain 0.0.9 instead of the latest master.

You could also reinstall via PyPI (note: PyPy is a totally different
thing! sigh...love Python but sometimes the project names are a bit
off) if you wanted; the only reason to do it the Git way is if you
want to switch back to master once in a while to see what's changed;
but that would require you to swap out fabfiles too, so possibly not
worth the effort.

Speaking of tracking master: we try to get new versions out each time
design decisions stabilize a bit (i.e. last I checked we were still
hashing out whether to keep config or rename it or whatever) so
sticking to the explicit releases shouldn't make you *too* out of
date.

As a user of Django over the past 3-4 years I'm well aware of how
irritating it can be to be told "oh yes the last release is N
months/years out of date and lacks M awesome new features" :) (Not a
problem for me personally, I tracked trunk, but I hated having to
*say* that phrase to newbies all the time!)

-Jeff