fab-user

[Fab-user] using sudo and rm/mv

From: William Liu
Subject: [Fab-user] using sudo and rm/mv
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:08:14 -0800

I've recently stumbled upon Fabric and its been a great tool. Things have been working great, but one slight problem. In my script, I have a few calls which do some filesystem manipulation, specifically removing a directory (rm -fr olddir) and renaming (mv newdir olddir) -- I'm using 'sudo' to do this on a remote machine.

Even though on the remote machine, the call goes through (e.g. the directory is removed), locally, I get an error saying the sudo operation failed (subsequent Socket closed). To get around this, I've simply used the 'fail' kwarg and set it to 'warn'. I was wondering if there was a specific reason why this is happening, or if I'm doing something wrong -- thanks,

-w