fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] I can't respond to prompts using Fabric "shell" or "run"

From: Niklas Lindström
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] I can't respond to prompts using Fabric "shell" or "run" verbs
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:45:31 +0100

This was an eerie case of synchronicity. I had the exact same problem
about an hour ago.. :)

I could work around it by using the Fabric `prompt` operation though,
but since the use case was for adding users with passwords, I figure
perhaps adding something like a `secret_prompt` may be useful (using
the stdlib `getpass` module)?

Albeit to be safe it must be coupled with some mechanism for blanking
out the printout of the executed command.. Just off the top of my
head, how about some special variable expansion syntax for that; e.g.:

    secret_prompt('passwd', "Password for %s" % user, validate=r"^\w{6,}$")
    sudo("htpasswd -m -b /etc/apache2/dav_svn.passwd $(user) $(passwd:secret)")
    del config['passwd']

? Notice that last `del` as well, to cleanup the env unless
`secret_prompt` shouldn't add the value there (which of course forces
a rethink of how to do "secret variable expansion" as well)..

Best regards,
Niklas