fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Using tasks for creating environments

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Using tasks for creating environments
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 20:06:09 -0400

> * hast_pattern is perhaps a bit too restrictive since "-"s in
> usernames are obviously valid (at least they work ;-)

That's interesting, I've never before seen a valid Unix username with
a hyphen in it (or are you on some other platform?). If you've managed
to make a user with that character in it, though, then I'm fine
changing the host pattern -- it's not intended to sanitize or
anything, so in this case it is simply being too close-minded. I had a
problem with the hostname part of it the other day and had to tweak it
then, too :)

> * -u gets None-ified right after the first task is completed

I did this specifically *so* usernames wouldn't "bleed" into other
invocations, but I can't recall why I thought that would be a good
thing; you're right that using environment type stuff relies on the
bleeding behavior.

I'll have to think a bit to make sure there isn't some other angle to
it, but here again I think I'd be fine with updating this so what you
expected will work correctly.

> Am I perhaps missing something?

Nope! You're giving me exactly the kinds of feedback I need; thanks!

-Jeff