fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] EC2 host keys

From: Patrick J McNerthney
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] EC2 host keys
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 16:09:24 -0400

Jeff Forcier wrote:
HI Pat,

Yea, I get that part, I think the salient question here was confirming
that these "new servers" are sitting behind the same IP and/or
hostname, which is why from SSH's point of view, they appear to be the
same server with a totally new host key. (I wonder if this is
something that the EC2 folks have considered? Seems like a pretty odd
problem to introduce.) Is that the case? Mostly just curious at this
point, I've not used EC2 before.

Yes, that is the case.

The way it works is that when an EC2 instance is created, an Internet accessible IP address (and DNS name) is assigned to it so that the owner of that instance can ssh into it to be able to use. As you probably know, publicly accessible IPv4 Internet addresses are something of a precious resource, so Amazon rightly recycles no longer used IP addresses for new instances. And the DNS names are just a form of the IP address, something like this: ec2-174-129-177-66.compute-1.amazonaws.com

Thanks again,
Pat