fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] functionality suggestions

From: Timothee Besset
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] functionality suggestions
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:56:28 -0500

Jeff Forcier wrote:
> Hi Timothee,
>
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Timothee Besset<address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> - The user path expansion is not working, I suppose it could be made
>> explicit, to handle local user != remote user.
>>

> We have tilde expansion working at least in put(); looks like it was
> not extended to get(), which is a mistake and will be fixed now that
> it has come to my attention :) FWIW this uses the Paramiko SFTP module
> to do the tilde expansion, which appears to work pretty well.
>

>> And the files are saved implicitly as 'authorized_keys.%s' %
>> env.host_string, which I don't like much and have no control over.
>>

> Without this behavior in place, if you run the get() command on >1
> host, only the final host's version of the file would end up on your
> local machine -- each subsequent call to get() would overwrite
> whatever was downloaded previously. Obviously not a good thing :)

Yep, I understand that, the problem is the lack of control, e.g. I am
not able to change the scheme for where the files go locally and under
what name.

Another unrelated question while I'm there, one of the main problems I
had when I initially tried fabric, was the ability to run jobs on
multiple systems that use different sets of credentials. Typically we
would get a bunch of 'naked systems', each with their own root/pass
logins, and we're looking at automating basic setup steps. For that
purpose however we would need to be able to specify the credentials for
each hosts.. my solution at the time was to generate the fabfile and
execute on the fly, but that's really nasty.

TTimo