fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] spliting fabfile into hosts and functions

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] spliting fabfile into hosts and functions
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 13:05:48 -0400

Hi Thomas,

Right now there's no specific best practices -- Fabric tries hard to be "just
Python", meaning that you can do anything you might normally do with Python
code. So if you have some code that somehow generates your host list, you could
stick that in e.g. get_hosts.py, then in your fabfile do "from get_hosts import
host_list" or whatnot.

In my case I keep my "fabfile" as a Python package (the master Git branch can
load packages as well as modules now) and then all the auxiliary code of this
nature lives inside the package and is imported as necessary into __init__.py.
This approach is just a slightly neater approach to the former and isn't
required, of course.

Hopefully others will have extra ideas as well -- but again, it's just Python,
so either use your pre-existing Python best practices, or look around for info
on same.

Best,
Jeff